Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Being thankful: easier said then done

http://http://www.123greetings.com/events/thanksgiving/

Several years ago, when my husband and I were going through marriage counseling, I realized something: It is important for me (us) to be thankful for the challenges in our lives because those times bring opportunity for learning and for forgiveness. For example, if someone's hurtful behavior emerges (again!) then we can use that situation to tackle the issue. I had to train myself to say "thank you" when my husband and I would argue or when our son with autism would throw a day-long tantrum. Then I forced myself to say "thank you"  to the universe for not allowing me to win the essay contest with its trip to NYC. As it turns out, the time I would have been in NYC needed to be the time I had to undergo medical testing and ultimately prep for surgery. Now I just say "thank you" (even if I am angry) and then wait to see what comes next. Maybe this is a technique you have already tried to do or that you may want to try. If you haven't already tried saying thank you when you are mad, start off with easy issues. Example, "thank you for making me late to get out the door...turns out I could have been in the car accident that was just ahead of me". Please tell your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment