Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Any Day Can Be Spooky

This week started with my son (the one with autism) throwing a major tantrum at school. Because the teachers had to resort to using restraint, I wondered what in the world triggered the outburst. My Occupational Therapy training taught me to ask, "Why?" "What is bothering this child?" So along with continued use of behavior modification and visual cues, I took my son to see the doctor. I suspected his allergies/nasal congestion might be causing an infection or pain. Turns out he has a sinus infection + his ear drums were in spasms. We added antibiotics and ear drops and what do you know...the next day he was his usual happy self. :-) When your child is acting up, just remember to ask yourself, "Why?" Then keep an open mind and follow the leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment