Friday, October 29, 2010

Lessons from Horses

I'm all about capitalizing on naturally occurring events by turning them into life lessons. Coincidentally, on the very same day that my son threw an outrageous tantrum at school, a horse that another girl was riding during my son's lesson time also threw a bit of a fit. Once it was determined that the girl was alright, I took my son aside and showed him how the horse was quickly recovering from his fit. Plus, my son had witnessed first hand the fit so I pointed out how it looks/feels like to be around someone throwing a fit. We talked about using calm voice and quiet hands (rather than throwing furniture!). I couldn't have planned and timed that scene if I tried and I'm grateful the trainer worked quietly and calmly with the horse. Keep your eyes open for teachable moments and be creative with your approach. I'd love to hear your stories:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment