Friday, July 15, 2011

Stress Buster: Create a Mental "Happy Place"

http://betterinbulk.net/2010/05/how-to-find-your-happy-place.html

I'm quickly learning how blogging and reading other blog posts is a great way to create and enjoy a mental happy place.
My son and I are 7 weeks into our 12 week summer "break" (not necessarily summer "vacation") and I have to find ways to 
think my own thoughts and not the words of my son (who has autism). I give him lots of credit for inspiring me to see the 
world in new and creative ways; but because he perseverates on his own topics of interests, I find myself feeling like I am 
stuck in a never ending hamster wheel. Luckily my husband encourages me to get out of the house while he cares for our son.But on days when I am locked in to 10 straight hours of caregiving (x5 days a week plus occasional weekends), I take mental breaks. Whether I stare at our front yard and imagine how to improve the landscape, scroll through facebook or twitter, 
or now that I have discovered SeededBuzz, read variety of blog posts, I can improve my ability to remain calm with my son. 
(Even as I write this post my son is sitting next to me and blowing bubbles in my face!)
Do you find that you are able to create peace in any setting?? How do you find/create your happy place?? What about when you are dealing with a challenging person...how do you compose yourself so you can 
avoid reacting to that person's behaviors??

No comments:

Post a Comment