Thursday, November 24, 2011

Being Thankful for the Life Lessons

For a few years, right after our son with Autism was born, I was convinced his behaviors and needs were my punishment for whatever I had done earlier in my life. Luckily, when the stress broke my spirit, I knew I had no choice but to work with a professional psychologist. Turns out, I found an expert in PTSD,
counseling couples who have children with special needs, and rebuilding one's self-esteem and skill sets. She said one thing that rocked my world...We marry the one who, by his/her behaviors, will help heal our childhood wounds and help us become a better person. Take this idea one step further and I realize that our son, with his needs and behaviors, is a gift to me because he forces me to look deep within myself and discover skills I never knew I possessed. Thank you, Adam. Who in your life forces you to look deep within yourself??

No comments:

Post a Comment